The Study Medication

What is the study medication?

The investigational study medication, ALT-801 (also called pemvidutide, the proposed INN name for this drug), is similar to two natural hormones the body makes that regulate food intake and metabolism.

Why is this study being conducted?

The Momentum Obesity Trial is designed to see if the study medication helps participants with weight loss and if it is safe and well-tolerated.

In addition, the study will look at other measures related to metabolism to see if they are changing.

Another purpose of this study is to evaluate how participants feel while they are taking the study medication or if they experience side effects. If side effects are observed, standard medications could be given to help reduce the side effects or treatment with the study medication could be temporarily paused.

Will I receive the study medication?

Approximately 75% study participants in the Momentum Obesity Trial will receive the study medication. The other 25% of study participants who do not receive the study medication will receive a placebo made of salt water. Neither the study team nor the participant will know what they are receiving.

What is an "investigational medicine"?

Investigational means the study medication has not been approved by regulatory authorities like the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Because of this, the study medication can only be used in clinical research studies like the Momentum Obesity Trial.